Sunday, August 28, 2005

Must Love...

Dogs? The same person I addressed the below post to told me that this show was very nice. I disagreed on the spot. She mentioned that after watching it, she believed that there could be such a thing as true love again. Or rather it just made her believe in love again. I shall reserve my comments on that statement. (I'm really not that evil. Really. Sometimes I reserve comments because I have NO comments. Haha.)

Must Love Dogs is if anything a predictable romantic comedy that doesn't really try to be anything different. I'm very sorry that I actually missed a good 10 minutes of the show. (SORRY SORRY! REALLY!) It isn't me to be late. Combination of factors include 1) spilled dinner 2) bad time estimation and 3) suntec parking is horrendous. I'm guilty of (2). But one can just pick up the story even after not catching the first 10 minutes. At least we weren't the worse ones. I saw a couple coming in like 20 minutes late. Heh.

Regarding the plot, it's pretty straightforward. I agree with a comment I heard in that "there was the whole "everyone must have a significant other in order to be a complete person" theme that appears in nearly every romantic comedy. So of course, it's to be expected when you go to see one, but it was drilled in quite painfully in this one. The woman was unhappy not simply because the man she loved broke her heart, but because she had gone a whole 8 months without a man in her life. I personally didn't get the feeling that they'd fallen in love as much as they'd found somebody decent enough to get into a relationship (or get it on) with." Maybe that's thinking too much. But in a way it did kinda make her a desperate housewife (sans the kid) and seeing her swim after him in the end wasn't romantic. It was downright painful to see her behaving so desperately. (Next time you see a romantic comedy, you'll probably view it in a "two desperate people trying to get it on" way...)

I am of course still a hopeless romantic at heart. No really. Maybe not exactly now, but there's still this buried hope inside there that someday my Prince(ss) will come and it would be a Hollywood flick kind of romance. I hope that didn't sound too gayish. (But maybe gayish would sound like this: *man working out in gym pumping weights* I really hope *clink of weights* I meet the right guy *clink of weights* soon... *clink of weights*) But at the moment, after seeing scores of Lomantic (with a captial 'L') Hollywood flicks, I'd say yeah. I believe in the impossible. Why not. We're inclined to. We're also inclined to believe that people with very different personalities can get along. And fat and ugly people can find very beautiful/handsome life partners. That last bit is especially true. Maybe I should eat more.

I last saw John Cusack on a my plane heading to Chicago in 2002. His presence was intimidating and really everyone on board were literally staring at him with their little headphones on. Obviously they were screening an in-flight movie and it happened to be Serendipity. I saw it twice. Once on the trip to Chicago and once on the way back. He seemed an exact replica of himself in Serendipity and I guess it was because both Serendipity and Dogs are in essence the same type of romantic comedy. There isn't very many things one can do here. Or shine in. But he did captivate the hearts of many of the teenagers present on board. That much is true.

Bottom line. Despite the cliches. Despite the flat one-liners. Despite the cringe inducing family sing-along, I really didn't mind Dogs. (The dogs did nothing for the owners in the entire span of 1.5hrs. Nothing. Zilch. No helping. They shouldn't title it MUST LOVE DOGS. Bloody misrep!) Yeah. I don't mind it. But I would prefer the British romantic comedies more of course. Ala Four Weddings and a Funeral, About a Boy and Love Actually. Love Actually was superb.

Drats. It's time to move back to hall again. Time for Company Tutorial again. Time for school again. Why doesn't the weekend last as long as it should be...

1 comment:

cinewhore said...

John Cusack rocks, but Serendipity is a stupid movie.