Monday, August 15, 2005

Election 2005

There wasn't any big hoo-hah regarding this year's election. Not that there was last year (coz it was a walk-over), but rather it was a little too quiet considering the amount of time we had to convert voters. Sunday afternoon - evening was spent printing out t-shirts and large A4 sized vibrant posters to catch the attention of any unfortunate individual passing their way. Sunday night was spent sneaking around law fac putting up the above-mentioned posters. This was followed by photo-taking for the write up to be submitted the very next day.



Monday's campaign was supposed to be very simple. Just wear the KDG t-shirts and attract attention. Let the students see the KDG posters. All very simple. Bob would wear the one with my name and I'll wear the one with his. We were supposed to try to not be seen side by side. That would be too gay. But as usual, things don't always work out. I kept running into Bob. Wherever I went. It was just too gay. On the plus side, I had 3 people say that if I wanted they would wear the shirt for me. Meaning I print more for them to wear. If this were a real presidential election, I'd gladly do so. But unfortunately this is a mini election with 10 people contesting for 8 seats. So no point spending so much right?



The disappointing thing was that I didn't spot a single poster from anyone else up yet. Other than Sam's ones which would probably be distributed by now, I didn't see any other piece of propaganda around. Was it really that silly for us to prepare a new item for every day of the week? Looking back, it might be so. Then again, the campaign posters and t-shirts were of particular significance to me. To the normal passerby, you probably just saw a china poster or an america poster, followed by our KDG t-shirt. I personally felt that the china and america posters were more of a tribute to the olden pop art of yesterday which we all remember, but came before our time. It's amazing to see these iconic images being used again and again despite their first appearances being like the 40s - 50s. As a tribute, I decided to incorporate them into our campaign. Just for fun.



The t-shirt itself was another homage/nod towards a small cult classic called NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE. The basic plot was that a nerd helped his new found mexican friend run for class president. And winning. One of the gimmicks they used was the tshirt. Our version wasn't just a last minute slap-together effort. It was a word for word and font for font reproduction of the original VOTE FOR PEDRO t-shirt featured in the film. It just gave me a kick being able to pull a stunt like this without anyone realising or recognising (Though it would be more fun if people DID recognise the tshirt la). All in all, today's campaign was really more for personal enjoyment than for the actual campaigning purpose itself.



Stay tuned for more silly stuff tommorrow~

(Shit, I forgot to wash the tshirt for Bob...)

No comments: