Friday, July 15, 2005

Journey of Faith

Fittingly after viewing the JOURNEY OF FAITH: ART AND HISTORY FROM THE VATICAN COLLECTIONS exhibition, I felt that I should go to Rome. In 2025. Afterall, that's the next year of the Jubilee and all my sins would be magically erased. So called la. That's the cheapskate method to get a clear sheet. Downside is, I'll be 43 years old then. If I don't manage to live that long due to unforeseen circumstances (touch wood!), I can pretty much be having a glorious tan (or burn) everyday for the rest of my friggin afterlife.

On a related note, as we were walking along east coast road last night searching for boon tong kee chicken rice, I pointed out to grace (yes law, no, not favian) that by turning right along joo chiat road and at the junction of marine parade road she can find my ex-church. Church_of_Singapore (Marine Parade). I last stepped foot in there like 4 years ago. Then she asked a general question which stumped me. 'What was your denomination?'

I scratched my head. I knew my secondary school church's denomination was Anglican. But for a good minute I just couldn't remember what my denomination was. I couldn't answer and I felt ashamed. (Read: Paishe) I went to sleep that night with this issue on my mind. Tossing and turning. Tossing and turning.

This morning as I sat on the crapper contemplating life, I recalled the conversation again. And also trying to remember what the hell turned me away from the church. It was a long thought process perodically intersparsed with knockings by my mum on the door with 'are you done yet?' But as with all things, the answer was found in google. My church had no denomination and they were proud of it. Problem solved. It's not my fault I couldn't remember any denomination. It was that there was none to remember at all. Whew. I feel a little less guilty.

to be continued...

Asian Civilisations Museum, Empress Place
Special Exhibitions Gallery
18 June - 9 Oct 2005

2 comments:

cinewhore said...

You think God has nothing better to do than to come down every 25 years and absolve people of their fucking sins?

If I were him, I'd be having magaritas all day long and laughing at the fools that went all the way there.

Damn, several thousand years of civilization and people are still so fucking stupid. "Journey of Faith" is only interesting because stuff is pretty, and I like seeing the history of how mankind has systematically deceived himself through the years.

우찌유 said...

I liked the paintings and the pretty little jeweled crab. Ah. There's something to watch out for in India. Doesn't hurt to get absolved for free in 2025 ma.. Treat it as a holiday la... that time can retire already... shiok!