Tuesday, October 04, 2005

I'm going to get shot for this...

I was eavesdropping on a couple of people today coz of what they were saying about law students in general.

The guys I eavesdropped on were hilarious coz they had a few misconceptions about us law students. For instance, they believe that law students primarily bond through partying. Drinking, partying, having fun. The vices. One guy mentioned that it's hard to reach out to this crowd because he doesn't do this kind stuff. Interesting misconception. Illustrations include, "Oh, remember him? He got pissed drunk that night and puked all over himself" Apparently the impression we give these people are that we're bloody drunkards that get pissed drunk and puke all over ourselves. For fun. Whee.

I would think that law students bond together for different reasons. (i) Orientation - being a blast for some, OGs still stick together. (ii) We're a small cohort. Only 200 students. Eventually everyone knows each other through TGs, OGs, mooting, trial advos and various CCAs. (iii) Mugging - many students form cliques to mug together and discuss assignments, tutorials and whatnot. (iv) Congregate long enough at one place, (i.e. lounge/library) and you'll eventually see familar faces everywhere. (v) Fun - Doesn't need to include partying. Doesn't need to involve drinking. Can just be going out for movies, regular dinners, sports e.g. tennis, windsurfing. (vi) Generally hanging out together. Look at the freaky friends. Do they club alot? I wouldn't think so though I may be wrong. But having wholesome fun can be a good way to bond too. Why stereotype law students as alcoholics?

Another funny thing I heard was that we were inclined towards making dirty jokes and these few people I eavesdropped on were not comfortable with such stuff. Interesting. Other than the 'I'm the only Khan in Law School' joke, I haven't heard many body part jokes flying around much. Probably from the borstals (and even then, it's mostly inside jokes and not really understandable by outsiders), but it's not as if they're like the majority of law school. I think having an open mind helps. Perhaps these particular students I eavesdropped on should understand that being so narrow minded doesn't help. It just makes their particular breed the butt of more jokes. (Said v Butt [1920] 3 KB 497)

My only problem with them are that they are a cowardly lot. Many airchair generals out there and virtually nothing gets done. Take the group from 10 years ago. Take the present group. Have their presence been felt by the student community? Something is wrong. I recall something regarding a comfort zone. It is in my submission that these people are pretty much stuck in their own comfort zones and not daring to venture out to genuinely know people. Need not invite them down on the first day. Build up a rapport. Then again, damn fake as a friend. They also generally think they are a class above the rest. They deem their lifestyle absolute and our ways are of the dark. Interesting right?

In conclousion - Better lifestyle? Choose between light and darkness? See the light? Suddenly we seem so evil. Ouch.

PS: Anasi Boys is out. And no, I'll try not to skip my lectures for it.

No comments: