Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Social Experiment

Months ago, a PRC in Shenzhen whom was working in his sister's office got bored and scribbled his QQ (sorta like MSN) contact number and his name on a piece of card which was shipped off to be attached to a pair of hairbands sold by Forever 21. Fast forward a few months later, and Miss Mao Cow was happily retrieving the said hairbands out of the shipping box delivered to us by Singapore Post. Because she was impatient, instead of removing the hairbands by sliding them out of the cardboard attachment, she tore it apart and we discovered the message.

It was essentially a greeting message with a request for the reader to add the said PRC to his QQ and be friends. I say "he" because the name was obviously a male's. Intrigued, and very coincidental too that I had QQ, we added him to my QQ and awaited his messages.

This little boy (18-19 according to the profile) kept asking why we were not replying as fast as him. The fact was that we were busy watching videos on my laptop and not all that concerned with his queries as we were trying to ask him 1) why he sent out the card - we later found out that it was out of boredom and 2) how many did he send out and how many replied him - many many but I was the only boliao one that replied. He was however more concerned with whether I could introduce him to Singapore girls AFTER he established that I was not a girl (as he DID scribble his message on a Forever 21 card, I would assume his target was a girl).

After many lame reasons like don't you have msn? (I'm lucky he doesn't have it actually) And my friends don't have QQ (in fact, I only have it myself due to commercial reasons), I decided to point him to a website where he could meet Singapore girls and make friends with them.

Enter facebook.

Rest assured that I am no longer in contact with him and he does not have my facebook name/email nor any chance to contact any of you girls that are my friends. But in the event you get a message from a 18-19 year old PRC from Shenzhen, do exercise your own discretion. You have been warned.

No comments: