Monday, May 01, 2006

Sitoh v Chiam

Sitoh visited Xiaoyun's grandmother this morning. As you can see, she was living in the Potong Pasir constituency.

"Hello auntie... etc. etc. etc. Vote for me, vote for me you will get upgrading in the next 3-4 years!"

-- I don't need upgrading (she replied), 3-4 years I might not even be around! I am very old. You ask me to move here move there, I get very very tired!

""Err... vote for me and we will have upgrading of facilities as well, not just the flat. You can enjoy the renovated gardens and pavilions downstairs! The opposition don't have money for upgrading one! Vote for me then you all will have upgrading! Only PAP got the money."

-- I don't need all this la. It's very simple for me. I just want to wake up in the morning, have my cup of tea, play ball games in the nearby park, eat at the coffeeshop downstairs and see my grandchildren grow up.

"Ha... er auntie, remember to vote for me hor!"

-- Aiya, you don't know? I vote for you every year! But you still lose! You make me so disappointed!

"... I promise this year won't lose already!"

PS: The exact same talk occured between them 10 years ago in the last election. Or was it 5 years?

Actually she was a Chiam supporter. Chiam being 71 years old does seem more towards her age. She felt so proud that she bluff Sitoh. When she was talking to her she felt like a STAR because all the other old people around were looking at her. Hurhurhur.

But one thing does come to mind. If Sitoh can make the statement of 'Don't vote for opposition, they have no money for upgrading!' it comes off that the PAP are fundamentally wrong. They should not promise to use government funds for election purposes. I mean think of it this way. They are using our tax money to do things for us and they deny poor Chiam from using the same monies to upgrade his constituency on the basis of LKY's 'obviously we will not help the opposition ward with upgrading until all the upgrading for our wards are done'. I don't know. Using government funds for party purposes is kinda wrong. That's why you don't really see Opposition members saying they can assure upgrading. Because they know that it's controlled. The main man said it himself.

But enough flogging dead horses.

Chiam is a people's people. I heard from Xiaoyun's grandma that he has a fan club. And whatever he likes or craves to eat, his wife will call the aunties and they will mobilise and cook for him. I believe that's the level of being a people's people. Sitoh will never understand that. Even if he does manage to win this year, he will never be as well received as Chiam in Potong Pasir. In my opinion la.

I remember something else that's relevant. My East Coast GRC is up for a tussle and frankly speaking, I am not that inclined towards voting for the Worker's Party. That doesn't mean I want to vote for the PAP. I personally think the bit about James Gomez was overdone. In all due respect, I heard the telecast by the ministers on radio/tv commenting that Gomez's integrity is taking a hit, is he the type of person you want to represent you is all bullshit. Have they heard themselves speak? They sound worse than the guy in slippers that tried to run for President a few years back. The form thing to me seems really like a genuine mistake. I mean, WHATS THE PURPOSE OF WITHOLDING THE FORM AT ALL? Isn't it a detriment to themselves? Then what's the point of hindering their own election right... silly PAP, still insist for dunno what shit, I read the headlines more and more and I get the impression that the PAP are actually kinda grabbing on this event to tarnish him BUT they turn out looking like petty little children. No meh? Go read the straits times online... see headlines can see already.

Then hor, the newspapers also bias one. When got PAP news, it's full page. No ads. But worker's party page have to fight with the Court's mega sale. I think normal aunties will be distracted no? Then again, normal aunties don't read straits times...

Shit la, I'm sleepy. Sat still have to vote. Singapore should take a lesson from Bangkok. Include a box for abstaining to vote. So that we won't anyhow vote useless people in, yet if we abstain sufficiently, we can send a message that there's something wrong with the PAP and we want to address that. 40% abstinence votes in Bangkok and the stepping down of Thaksin can't be anything but a good example to what we need in Singapore.

Oh no. Hungry.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

I urge you to go for a rally to find out more about yourself!

Worker’s Party
Time: 7 pm – 10 pm
Venue: Open field bounded by East Coast Park Service Road and Siglap Canal , near ECP Carpark D1
Electoral Div: Joo Chiat SMC

Singapore Democratic Party
Time: 7 pm – 10 pm
Venue: Woodlands Stadium
Electoral Div: Sembawang GRC

Singapore Democratic Alliance
Time: 7 pm – 10 pm
Venue:Open field along Jalan Tenteram near Blk 65A JTC factory
Electoral Div: Jalan Besar GRC

other info from www.singaporeelection.blogspot.com