Wednesday, March 05, 2008

How to avoid getting splitting headaches: Turn off the power outlet before fixing the lights

Before I was going to continue on my paper, I went around looking for things to do. Which is what happens when I have something really important to do. I will basically try to distract myself by doing wu ah bo things and ending up tearing my hair out last minute. As usual.

So I went pattering around the house, fixing this, tweaking that. It then dawned on me to fix the lights. I recently fixed a toilet light last week, but that was easy, just taking out the tube and putting it in. Hardly fixing. This was a challenge. The living room light had a spoilt starter and my dad said he wanted to call the technician in. But no. I was too smart for that. 'It's just unscrewing some wires and fixing it back! How hard can it be? Save the $30!'

I then took a screwdriver to the thing and because it was getting pretty dark, couldn't really aim carefully. I ended up stabbing my finger. But that didn't deter me. There were two wires to remove and replace. After getting the first one, I was fairly confident. I then did the second one a little too vigorously. That was when I realized that I had forgotten to switch off the power. There was this strange sensation that surged through my body, traveling from my hand and up to my head, gripping my brain, before going down to near my stomach area. Luckily I was fat and could still stand after wrenching my screwdriver away from the screw in that split second. By then I realized that I was just shocked by X voltage. After replacing the second wire, the lights worked, but I had a splitting headache. Which still persists now.

Sad right. But then I took that $30 we saved and immediately invested it in something else.

Now, I can take slight comfort and solace in the fact that... I still have the night to continue, (PROCRASTINATION!) and I have the Bourne Trilogy waiting for me after Sunday/Monday's paper~ Yes it's CHINA ORIGINAL DVD. But it's $30 for all 3 when I could have spent $29.90 getting one MALAYSIAN ORIGINAL DVD or $34.90 for a CODE 1. Even if I get it from Amazon, it still won't be $10SGD per disc. And I didn't feel like supporting piracy recently (after getting scolded) and so, $30 it is. iLove China but iHate inconsiderate and rude PRCs. If only PRCs could be nicer. Oh well.

No comments: